EDEN - European Destinations Of Excellence
The EDEN initiative was launched in 2006 by the European Commission and aims to promote sustainable tourism development models across the EU. The initiative is based on national competitions and promotional campaigns that result in the selection and promotion of a tourist 'destination of excellence' for each participating country. The winning destinations are the emerging, non-traditional destinations that offer a unique tourism experience, in line with sustainable models. The EDEN project in Cyprus is managed by the Deputy Ministry of Tourism.
Cyprus is an ideal destination that offers a huge range of activities as well as sceneries, meeting the expectations of even the most demanding visitors.
The winner destinations in Cyprus are the following:
• 2007 – Troodos: “Best Emerging Rural Destinations of Excellence”.
• 2008 – Agros: “Tourism and Local Intangible Heritage Destination”.
• 2009 – Vouni (Pano) Panayia: “Tourism and Protected Areas”.
• 2010 – Kato Pirgos: “Aquatic Tourism”.
• 2011 – Kalopanayiotis: “Tourism and Regeneration of Physical Sites”.
• 2012 – Polis Chrysochous: “Accessible Tourism”.
• 2014 – Pitsilia: “Tourism and Local Gastronomy”.